Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Works in Progress

Inspired by a photograph I took in Egypt three years ago, Stonehenge and Valley of the Kings fabrics, Sharon Schlotzhauer's "coloring-book-style" construction method, and Melinda Bula's fusing technique, I set forth to design an Egyptian-themed quilt worthy of Houston. 


This is my Sharon Schlotzhauer wall hanging. I need to use an invisible zig-zag stitch to attach the pieces.


These are my sketches created by tracing the photographs onto transparencies with an Ultra Fine Point Sharpie marker. I am resizing the images with my printer/scanner/copier. Not pictured is the large pile of discarded copier paper I am going through during this process.


These are my stonehenge fabrics for the Egyptian quilt. I will be relying on value to create dimension.


I took a picture of my fabrics arranged from light to dark, to see if my approximations of value were correct.

 

This is a picture of the Jacob's Ladder blocks made from Fairy Frost Fabrics in the quilt top I made for my friend's baby girl.


I am quilting sweet peas and thinking I could have made the quilt a bit smaller. I am thinking I want to keep it for myself! Some friend that would make me since the future recipient has been waiting over three months since the birth of her child.




This is the part immediately before I run out of thread. Yea! Bernina carries Sulky variegated thread. Now is not the time to change colors. Who would have thought I'd use the whole spool?


This is my Melinda Bula coneflower, which I need to quilt.


This is my Playmates (I did not name this quilt.) quilt from "Two From Jelly Roll Quilts". I forgot to pin it when I was doing the rest.


I am making a Zoo quilt for Quilts Ole. These are the funky fabrics for the project.


I need to pick up another block for this Saturday Sampler. I'd better get caught up.


I'll be teaching this class on September 1 at Thimbleweeds.


I signed up for classes. Houston here I come!


This is my ever-so-slightly modified snowman Saturday Sampler for Quilts Ole. I am thinking my next block will be Jack & the Beanstalk. I have leaves and green. What more could I need?


New Mexico-themed Baltimore Album quilt is in the works.


I bought some more dragon fabric (on top). Shhh! Don't tell my husband.


I wrote instructions for the Shepherd Abiding Christmas quilt. I will need to bind it when it gets back from the quilter.



The caterpillar quilt is pinned.


I am also planning on working on my brother's batik Tennessee Waltz wedding quilt. I am hoping to give it to him when I visit Houston in November.

I also have this wild notion of writing a quilting book. I visited Martingale & Co. in Seattle, bought a bunch of books, and got inspired. I have a few ideas, but they're a secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment